Thursday, July 10, 2008

Emmy's Hospital Stay -spinal tap


Emmy was given a spinal tap somewhere between 1-2 am on Sunday. I was planning to be in the room as they did the procedure, but Keith was having a breakdown of his own at that point, so I went to support him. Emmy was not conscious for the procedure and it went well by all accounts. It was probably better I wasn't in the room - I know how nervous I get when people watch me, and these people were sticking a needle into my baby's back. Best not to distract them.

Once done, the Pediatrician indicated that she was happy with the spinal fluid - as it was clear. I watched as 4 vials were sent down to the lab. Emmy was still sedated. A nurse came in to ask us 4 pages of questions about Emmy, and our family medical history. The most insane question? Are you staying the night? Where the hell else would I be? My 28 month old child has just had a seizure and is unconscious after a spinal tap...I am not only spending the night, you will be positively sick of me! Of course I just meekly said yes. I sat in the chair beside the crib, and just watched Emmy sleep. Keith crawled into bed (there was a queen sized bed in the room) and tried to get some sleep.

After the 4 am vitals check, I went to try to get some sleep. I couldn't shut off my mind, so no sleep was had by me at that time. I went back to the chair beside the crib and just listened to Keith snore and Emmy breathe.

At 6 am, the nurses returned for a vitals check. Emmy woke up this time and immediately called out for both Keith and I. That was the sweetest thing I have every heard as she had not said a word since the seizure and had not shown recognition for either of us. I quickly sat up so she could see me, and she smiled. Then, she went to work on trying to get out of her crib and pulling the cords off her body. She especially did not enjoy her IV, hence why her hand is so taped up in the picture on the previous post. Anything to keep it in.

Emmy put up such a fuss about the crib, they ended up bringing in a hospital bed for her to sleep in. That appeased her. Satisfied my baby was stable, Keith stayed with her as I got 2 hours sleep. Although she was still running a fever, it was under control, Emmy was talking, and acting somewhat normal. This was the first in a serious of good steps to her recovery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping she'll be alright soon & you as well. Back to her old michievious ways & this is nothing serious! Sending an email & keep us up to date please. Love Trudy

Angela said...

Oh Jan! I'm just seeing this today. I hope Emmy is fine and you find out what happened to cause that seizure. So scary!

Poor Emmy. She's so precious. ((hug))

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,

Just saw your blog today and wanted to say that you are all in our thoughts in a special way right now. I can't imagine how scary this episode was for you and so hard to see your baby suffer but hope she's on the mend and that it wasn't anything serious.
Take care and please keep us updated as you find out the cause.

Your cousin,
Anne-Marie