Saturday, May 02, 2009

Optical Appointment

Emerson went to the Optometrist today for her first check-up. She was referred from Northern Health as she didn't pass one portion of her eye check-up at the preschooler health day last Saturday. On their referral, she passed everything except they noted her left eye was not at a passing level. Today, it was determined that Emmy needs glasses, and a pretty strong prescription at that. Since I wear glasses and have since I was 14, I am not terribly surprised, but am a bit sad about it. I was truly hoping she would get to miss out on that 'treat'.

I worry that she will be teased in elementary school. I was never teased for my glasses, as I was older when I got them. The amount of teasing I got in elementary school about my weight...I shudder... Kids are merciless.

So we picked out some cute frames and paid for them (ouch!) Thankfully, my insurance from work will reimburse $200 which is 2/3 the cost anyhow. Thank you, insurance! I just got paid yesterday, and I'm broke already - daycare, car insurance, and now Em's glasses off the one paycheck. OUCH! As Keith always says - you can't take it with you.

2 comments:

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

no i don't think kids will resort to teasing due to eye glasses, although some may be curious why she has to wear one.
just explain to her in the most simple way why it was necessary so she too can tell kids her age the reason behind it.
don't worry, she look gorgeous on it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
The daycare will be a good indicater of how the other kids accept her. I can't see a problem,you both picked out an awesome pair of glasses that really suit her & complement her face..makes her look more mature. No one has a perfect body..she's young & flexible enough to understand that. I too need glasses (for reading) Thankful I can afford them..cant see prices on food..interac #'s ..small stuff! Now I can see clearly..it'll be OK!!! Trudy