Sunday, October 09, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

It is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I  have so much to be thankful for this year, particularly the past months since the stroke. It is funny how I relate things now- they are either before the stroke or after- it is a defining period  of my life.  so here is a list of what I am thankful for...
  1. Being alive to write this post
  2. Emerson for having the courage that day to get me the phone despite not being able to understand me & being utterly terrified.
  3. Keith for being there for me through all of it from cooking to helping me get dressed  for being my shoulder to cry on when I have been frustrated or sad which has been many times . When I got out of the hospital, he essentially had to take care of both Emmy and I and work full time. He did it without a complaint and I could never thank him enough for showing  me that through  thick and thin he will be there for me. Believe me when I say it has not been easy for him in the least.I love you Keith.
  4. Everyone that visited me in the hospital, the flowers and get well cards from coworkers and dear . I still have the cards and  they always bring a smile to my face as I feel the love that went in them. A special mention to Poppy who visited almost daily,lent me clothes when I was sick of hospital gowns and bringing iced coffees despite working full tine and having her own busy family to take care You have been there since we met so many years ago thank you for being there for me and I love you.
  5. Facebook - the messages, the pokes, the notes in my wall  all help lift me up when I am down.
  6. My Aunts  and family in Vancouver on my Dad's side who were so kind to send and thoughtful to send a care package with gifts for all of us. I cried so much that day as I remembered Grandma and felt loved and supported by family I haven't seen for 15 years, yet it made me feel right there with them.
  7. Mother Nature for not giving me a break from the visits from hell each month when I have have no fine motor skills to work with. You would think having a stroke could maybe make mother nature bugger off for a couple of months but noooooo....so I take it back I am NOT thankful for it and she can piss offf!!!
  8. My sister in law, brother and family who were preparing and moving to Alberta when all this happened but despite all that always sent encouraging messages and posts.
  9. Velcro and pull on pants
  10.   I realized when I was in the hospital and especially as I recover that this could have been far worse than it is. I am alive. I can hug my daughter every day,  I can walk,talk and do most things for myself. I type really slow now but  getting better.I can't tie shoes with laces or buttoned pants (see #9) but I have 3 pairs of pull on pants that work for me and runners with Velcro. I still have moments of pure frustration as I get dressed if clothes are inside out but they are fewer and much less often. I find if  I am frustrated, I walk away for a few moments and then I am able to get it right. so I thank God for letting me survive this, for helping me recover  for making the hurdles bearable and surmountable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, Jan! and yes lots to be thankful for. We are thankful we still have you around, though we haven't seen you for a while, hoping to change that soon. Remember God won't let you go through more than he knows you can handle. And I think you've gone through enough right now, it should be smooth sailing from now on. ;) love ya sis and have an awesome thanksgiving, wish we could celebrate together. <3

cindy said...

vBurberry Tasche
Chanel Tasche
Sonnenbrille
Accessoires & Schmuck 
T Shirt
tee shirts
ceinture en cuir
jeans
sandales Christian Louboutin
Christian Louboutin pas cher
tee-shirts louis vuitton
louis vuitton pas cher
chaussures nike
chaussures puma
sac fendi
sac guess
sandales Christian Louboutin
Christian Louboutin pas cher
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton
burberry bolsas
Chanel bolsas
Guess bolsas
sac chloe
sac dior
tee shirts Louis vuitton hommes
Jeans
Lunettes de soleil
ceinture en cuir
Cravate
tee shirts burberry hommes