My poor, poor Emmy. I've spoken about the fact that she tends to rash pretty easily, however yesterday was a new record.
The day started fine...her bum wasn't red at all when Keith changed her in the morning. I changed her at 10 am before going to get the sitter and she was fine. She had a slight diaper rash the previous day so I was pleased that it was all cleared up.
I went to work at noon as usual these days. Em seemed fine when I left her. At 3:45 (15 minutes before I was off) I get a call at work. I knew it was the sitter before I picked it up as she's the only one who would call me there. As soon as I picked up, I could hear Em wailing in the background. She explained that Em has been crying for the past hour. Since I'm a big baby, that instantly made me want to cry. I got all choked up and told her I would be home in 5 minutes. (Thanks work for understanding!)
I rushed home and could hear Em from outside. I got inside and she was hysterical. The first thing I noticed was that she was poopy, so I asked the sitter if she had checked her diaper recently. She said she just changed her 1/2 an hour before she started crying, and it had been poopy (but not rashy).
I put screaming Em down to change the diaper, and quickly I noticed that she was all rashed up. I went to the sink to rinse her rather than use a wipe, and as I rinsed her with cool water, she screamed like I was dousing her with boiling hot water. It was CRAZY!! She was SO upset and my heart was breaking for her.
Once clean, I brought her back to the living room and laid her on the couch, diaper-less. The ceiling fan was blowing on her, and she calmed down. I inspected the rash at this point and noticed it was actually blistering (think water blisterd when you burn) all along the sides of her foo-foo, and the rest was red from rash. Damn, that would make ME cry too, let alone a toddler!
I quickly determined that it was the two poops in a row that did it, and the second one was highly acidic obviously. I ended up taking her to the walk-in clinic just so a Doctor could see the blistering (I had never seen it before). Em screamed the whole time in the clinic, bless that Doctor for being so patient with us!
The verdict was nasty diaper rash caused by contact, which I knew any how. He prescribed a special cream to use and some Tylonel with codeine for Em. Now, I'm not an advocate of drugging your baby, but hot damn, this stuff works. I gave her the lowest dose listed and she slept from 7:30pm-7:30am. She would have slept even longer, but I went in when I heard her stirring. She went to sleep without her last bottle, slept through me undoing her diaper and spreading the cream on her (I had to pick it up later as they had to make it), she slept through a 4 hour thunderstorm that rocked the house and rattled the windows. She slept like she was back in her Harness, with her legs spread and bent, in her frog-leg pose. The kid didn't stir till this morning, and she hasn't slept through the night for the past two weeks. Keith says these are the best drugs ever. Silly man. Although I am tempted to agree with him. LOL
The rash is nasty looking this morning, and I'm not sure how she'll do with the sitter, but it's just 4 more hours and then I'm home for the weekend.
On another note, the job is getting better. The first week was hard and I felt so dumb...just out of it.
The day started fine...her bum wasn't red at all when Keith changed her in the morning. I changed her at 10 am before going to get the sitter and she was fine. She had a slight diaper rash the previous day so I was pleased that it was all cleared up.
I went to work at noon as usual these days. Em seemed fine when I left her. At 3:45 (15 minutes before I was off) I get a call at work. I knew it was the sitter before I picked it up as she's the only one who would call me there. As soon as I picked up, I could hear Em wailing in the background. She explained that Em has been crying for the past hour. Since I'm a big baby, that instantly made me want to cry. I got all choked up and told her I would be home in 5 minutes. (Thanks work for understanding!)
I rushed home and could hear Em from outside. I got inside and she was hysterical. The first thing I noticed was that she was poopy, so I asked the sitter if she had checked her diaper recently. She said she just changed her 1/2 an hour before she started crying, and it had been poopy (but not rashy).
I put screaming Em down to change the diaper, and quickly I noticed that she was all rashed up. I went to the sink to rinse her rather than use a wipe, and as I rinsed her with cool water, she screamed like I was dousing her with boiling hot water. It was CRAZY!! She was SO upset and my heart was breaking for her.
Once clean, I brought her back to the living room and laid her on the couch, diaper-less. The ceiling fan was blowing on her, and she calmed down. I inspected the rash at this point and noticed it was actually blistering (think water blisterd when you burn) all along the sides of her foo-foo, and the rest was red from rash. Damn, that would make ME cry too, let alone a toddler!
I quickly determined that it was the two poops in a row that did it, and the second one was highly acidic obviously. I ended up taking her to the walk-in clinic just so a Doctor could see the blistering (I had never seen it before). Em screamed the whole time in the clinic, bless that Doctor for being so patient with us!
The verdict was nasty diaper rash caused by contact, which I knew any how. He prescribed a special cream to use and some Tylonel with codeine for Em. Now, I'm not an advocate of drugging your baby, but hot damn, this stuff works. I gave her the lowest dose listed and she slept from 7:30pm-7:30am. She would have slept even longer, but I went in when I heard her stirring. She went to sleep without her last bottle, slept through me undoing her diaper and spreading the cream on her (I had to pick it up later as they had to make it), she slept through a 4 hour thunderstorm that rocked the house and rattled the windows. She slept like she was back in her Harness, with her legs spread and bent, in her frog-leg pose. The kid didn't stir till this morning, and she hasn't slept through the night for the past two weeks. Keith says these are the best drugs ever. Silly man. Although I am tempted to agree with him. LOL
The rash is nasty looking this morning, and I'm not sure how she'll do with the sitter, but it's just 4 more hours and then I'm home for the weekend.
On another note, the job is getting better. The first week was hard and I felt so dumb...just out of it.
And here, for the fun of it, is a completely unrelated picture of Emmy, looking like she's calling me Cuckoo...maybe she's on to something! LOL
1 comment:
Poor Em! But that codeine sounds really cool! LOL and so does a full night's sleep! Awesome!
Hope her bum is better by now!
Post a Comment