Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Little Mommy Talk


June 18: How were your first few weeks at home? Sleeping, eating habits? Any baby blues/post-partum issues?
The first few weeks at home were hard. I really had *no idea* what I was doing. Thankfully, Keith, who was equally as unprepared, helped me so much in those first few weeks. He let me sleep more than he slept a lot of the time (and he was working 9+ hours a day), he sent me to bed whenever I looked like I needed it, he picked up all those little things at the pharmacy that I never imagined he would. (Such as Lanolin, pads, hemmeroid cream, all the embarrassing stuff).

For the first week, Em slept for 45 minutes at a time. We were in non-sleeping baby hell. My milk didn't come in till Day 7 post-partum, and even when it did come in, the supply was nada (I can officially say this for certain since I had milk after Maddie's stillbirth and it was AMPLE. I NEVER had that with Em. So, Day 7 post-partum, we supplemented with formula. It was a good day LOL. Em slepts for 2 hour stretches once she figured we weren't trying to starve her on purpose. lol.
She was a good eater, and once the formula was added to the routine, she consistantly gained weight. She had reflux, which was the only eating related issue, but that passed by 6 months pp.
Surprisingly, I had no pp depression. Even with my long history of depression, I didn't get it. I am thankful for that.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I can empathize with the poor supply. I had that as well. Stinks. Strange how it came in so good after Maddie's stillbirth. I'm glad you never got ppd.

Jann said...

It KILLED me how different it was with Maddie versus Em. Especially considering Em was full term and Maddie was only 18 weeks gestation.

However, I put it down to my body 'knowing what to do' the second time around. Didn't make it any easier to deal with since I didn't have a baby to feed, but it was reassuring that it 'worked' if that makes sense (since it didn't with Em)

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I didn't produce enough milk with my first one either. I tried, I willed my body to do it, I even tried beggin and pleading with it but it was a no go. Then my second one came and I had more than enough. I just figured that since it was my first pregnancy, it was my body's first too and it didn't know what to do with this squishy little blob.