Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hip-Check 2007

It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since Em was last seen by her orthopedic surgeon. We went today for the all-mighty hip check up which was LOADS of fun. Loads.

We got to the hospital and I plugged the meter to last until 10 am. Pleeeeeeeeenty of time. Right? Wrong.

Xray first. Em moved right when they took the picture so I KNEW it wouldn't be good but the tech checked it and said it was fine. Riiiiight.

We waited an extraordinary long wait when you have a restless toddler who is a bit pissed with you about holding her down on a gurney. How long, you ask? It was 10:30 AM before we even saw a doctor. For those who are keeping track at home , that would be 2 hours, 20 minutes PAST her scheduled appointment time. 140 minutes of desperately trying to keep Em amused without any of her favorite toys (they are all loud and annoying and I'm sure the waiting room didn't need to hear Ernie giggle 'oh that tickles' 5,000 times) 8,400 seconds of attempting to keep my curious daughter somewhere in the vicinity of me, and not have her scream like I was abducting her when I kept her from running away. Fun times, I tell you, fun times.

We finally got in to the exam room and Ms. Student Doctor comes in. Now, I know she needs practical experience to learn, but my kid is already pissy...must we piss her off more so Ms. Student Doctor can put a tick next to the "manually manipulated a toddler's hips". Oh, and Ms. Student Doctor forgot to read the part that you never, ever, ever pull hip babies by their feet down a bed (to bring them closer). I should fax her that info.

Em's orthopedic surgeon comes in and started telling me how pretty Em was. Good doctor. My child chose to take this opportunity to pick her nose. At least we won't have to worry about dating if she keeps that up.

Em receives her 4,000th compliment on the cute pink shoes I bought her the other day. They are really cute, but completely off topic.

After 2.4 seconds of examining her, the doctor says, "We just need a better Xray, the one from this morning is blurry, like she moved". Oh really? What a freaking shock.

Back we go to Xray. 30 minutes later, we've got 2 adults holding Em down so she'll be still. Again, fun times as my toddler screams in defiance.

Back to the doctor. Finally, a verdict. Well, a confusing one. Overall, he's happy with her hips, they haven't deteriorated too much, but there is something he's not happy with. He never actually specifies what this is but wants us back in 6 months for another round of Xrays. Yahoo.

We left the hospital at 11:10 AM. 3 hours after her 'appointment time'. LOL Luckily, no ticket on my car. Because that, my friends, would have made me cranky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oy, what a day you had! And Keith didn't come with...hmmpfh. Lucky bastid. LOL. I insist on Tom going everywhere with Nicky and I (cause I'm a total wimp) so that we can take turns. Nicky was exhausting in waiting rooms (usually for my appointments actually) and that was before he was even walking. I can't imagine how he'll be now. Sign me up for one of those leashes...