Monday, January 21, 2008

How quickly we forget...

Keith and I were chatting last night about how much Emmy has changed in the almost-two-years since she was born. Keith mentioned how he used to make Emmy giggle by swinging her back and forth in his arms. I replied, yes, back when she was in her brace. "Oh yeah," said Keith, "the brace! I totally forgot that she was in that!"

And that, my friends, is parenthood in a nutshell. It's not that Emmy's time in the brace was forgettable, it's just that it doesn't define her. Every moment of our time together, she gives us a new memory and eventually 'life in the brace', while overwhelming at the time, gets pushed away as these new memories and experiences fill our minds and hearts. Toddlerhood is SO full of change, some days, I feel like I am unable to keep up.

No comments: