Friday, March 03, 2006

Day Two with my Bean



I can't get over the fact that my little Emmy is already 11 days old. How fast time is flying (and how little time I have for updating my blog! LOL) I want to write these thoughts down though before I forget them.

I never fathomed that I could love someone so deeply. That bond that they talk about between a Mom and her children is truly remarkable.

She is a beautiful baby (although I may be biased). She has this light brown/sandy blonde hair, and these amazing deep blue eyes. I am not sure that the eyes will stay that colour, since she is so young, but they are so beautiful.

Day Two: Emmy was still in the Special Care Nursery, but I got to go see her in the morning to feed her. The evil nurse from hell made me walk halfway there. I know that movement after a C-Section is supposed to help recovery, but it hurt so much. The pain was worth it when I saw my sweet little baby in the bed waiting for me. I had only seen her for a moment the night before, and I was pretty drugged up, so this was my first bonding chance with her.

I held Emmy, and we learned how to breastfeed. It's not an easy thing to do for either of us. I know with practise it will get easier, but it was very awkward in the beginning. On top of it, I only had a small divider in front of me, so one side of us was exposed. This made me feel self-conscious, as there were other people in the nursery (not staff) and here I was with my boob exposed.

Keith came to visit around noon and came for the feeding. Emmy still had monitors attached to her and an IV which almost made me cry, but she was doing really well. At 7 pm, she was released from the Special Care Nursery and came to stay with me in my room. It was hard to care for her while trying to recover from the C-Section, but with the nurses help, I did manage.

The C-Section was painful. Anytime I had to get up or down, I cried...it hurt so bad. They only had me on Tylonel 3's and they weren't touching the pain.

Regardless of all of the pain, it was so good to have Emmy with me, I felt like I had a chance to bond with her, in the privacy of my room, and get to know this little girl who had been kicking and squirming in my belly for the past 9 months.

No comments: