Sunday, March 26, 2006

How I Know I Am a Mom...Part II


Every Saturday night, Keith takes over Emmy duty for 2 of the 3 nighttime feedings. This allows me to go upstairs and sleep for an uninterrupted 7-8 hours of sleep. It's fabulous! He has Sunday's off, so he sleeps on and off during the night between feedings, and then I get up at 6 am, and take care of the feedings so he can sleep uninterrupted until about noon. It's the only day we both get enough sleep to feel rested! :-)

Now, prior to Emmy's arrival...did I ever think of how much uninterrupted sleep I got? Not really, unless it had been interrupted in some way (like in late pregnancy). I slept until either my alarm went off for work, or I woke up on my own.

Ahhh...back in the days...

Also, my weekends before Emmy were spent much differently. Usually, I would do nothing. And by nothing, I mean nothing that can be claimed as being efficient with my time. My routine (before pregnancy) was to shower, come downstairs, get a glass of Coke (my caffeine addiction), smoke some cigarettes, and check my email. That could easily fill 2 hours of my time. Eventually, I would go get some breakfast, get dressed, maybe throw a load of laundry in the washer, but usually, I would spend my Saturdays & Sundays being lazy.

Now, here we are, it is Sunday. This has been what I have done so far (and its 8:44 AM as I write this) After my alarm went off at 6 am, I...

  • Went pee, brushed my teeth, but waited on the showering (because Emmy usually wakes up between 6-6:30 am for a feeding).
  • Poured a glass of juice that I am finally enjoying now.
  • Emmy started fussing, so I made the supplemental formula bottle, and breastfed her/formula fed her for an hour. Changed her diaper and her onesie. Put her back to sleep.
  • Emptied the dishwasher.
  • Handwashed the bottles that had accumulated last night and this morning.
  • Folded the laundry that I started last night, put in another load. (3 loads washed, dried, folded and put away so far)
  • Boiled water for formula.
  • Found the laundry that Keith was hiding around the house.
  • Picked up Keith's garbage since he's incapable at times of realizing we have a garbage can.
  • Swept and mopped the kitchen floor.

Okay, so now I am eating some breakfast, waiting for the next load to be ready to be folded, and for Emmy's 9 am feeding. Crazy what my day entails nowadays! I wouldn't trade it, but I wonder how ANYTHING got done before. Some days I get frustrated because I can't get everything done that I wanted to, yet, even if I unload the dishwasher, that's still more than I used to do! LOL

On another note, I finally got invited to my own baby shower. I was wondering if someone was going to remember to invite me or not. It's today at 2 pm, so I figured someone would have to let me know! LMAO

It's been the worst kept secret ever. My friends don't really communicate with one another, so I didn't think I would actually have one. I found out from my coworker that it was planned for this Sunday (she wasn't going to tell me, but figured I knew about it anyhow).

At least I have time to get pretty! I was worried they wouldn't give me enough time to do anything, and all my pics would be me looking stunned and with bad hair. Now, I will at least be able to do something about the hair and makeup! (I always look stunned anyhow! LOL)

1 comment:

Katrina said...

She is such a cutie! :) Hope you had a good time at your shower!