Friday, March 17, 2006

Pediatrician Appointment


My lil bean is sprouting away here. She weighed 6 lbs 13 ozs yesterday! Soon, she may actually fit all those clothes she has been given! :-)

There was some not-so good news given to me by the Pediatrician yesterday.

1. Her spitting up is reflux. Not too bad if we keep her upright after feedings. If we don't, you best take cover, because the spew will fly! She got me really well this morning after I fed her. I lifted her upright to burp her and she puked all down my tank top. Nummy. Good thing I hadn't showered yet. LOL If it gets worse, we will medicate her (if she were to stop gaining weight for example) but right now its just a wait and see approach.

2. Her hips are clicking. She was a breech baby, firstborn and a girl, which are the three common markers in baby's born with hip dysplasia. We have an ultrasound booked in early April to determine whether she has it or not. If she does, it may require her wearing a brace-like device for a few months, or worst, surgery. This makes me incredibly sad...I don't want to see my daughter bound up, or having to face surgery! :-( But I know, whatever it takes to get it fixed.

3. She has a slight heart murmur. I am hoping she will simply outgrow this and its not something serious, but it has me worried. No mom wants to hear that there could be something wrong with their child! The Pediatrician will recheck her heart in 4 weeks.

She still has good nights and bad nights when it comes to sleeping. Good nights, she sleeps in 3 hour sessions, feeds, and then goes back to sleep. Bad nights, it's every hour, or she doesn't sleep at all. She is a sweet baby, and I am totally in love with her. Although, I think I might love her just a teensy bit more when she stops screaming at diaper changes and sleeps through the night! LMAO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love reading your blog btw.. And congrats on your beautiful baby girl!! My son is 3 months old now (my first baby) and it LITERALLY feels like just yesterday that he was born and I was feeling exactly how you do!! I can't even believe I am able to type that..LOL All I kept hearing, "oooh it'll get easier, don't worry"..and I was hard-headed and refused to believe that...especially when he was colicky. But it does!!! Just last week he started sleeping through the night, which shocked me. So, again, it will get easier and so much more fun. Gosh, soon she'll smile. And boy do they grow! OMG do they grow!! And I'm sure everything will be okay- with the reflux, hips, and mermur. She still has lots of time to get adjusted to everything. And yeah, lots of babies grow out of having mermurs!!!! LOTS. Take it easy ..and I'll keep checking up. =D

Jann said...

Thank you! (I am stunned, I have more than one reader...go me! hee hee)

Thank you so much for your encouragement, it is nice to hear from someone who has "been there, done that"!

It's also nice to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel as far as sleeping through the night goes...we keep hoping she might sleep just a little longer each night. She's pretty typical...2 hours between feedings, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I can't wait for the social smiles, where she will smile when she recognizes us. She smiles what would be considered "gas smiles" right now, sometimes while sleeping. I still think they count! :-)

It's hard to believe in two days she is a month old...so I know how fast your lil guy's first three months have gone! It seems like I just brought her home from the hospital!!