Monday, January 16, 2006

Reality TV...Part Two

It is almost time.

Yes, tomorrow is the premiere of American Idol. I get obsessed every year with this damn show. So much so, that by the time it is over, and Canadian Idol starts, I am emotionally spent and cannot go through the gamut again. It's sad really.

It is possible that I get more American Idol obsessed than I am pregnancy obsessed. Scary thought, hey? Good thing I didn't have a blog last year!

We have prenatal class tommorow night, which means Keith will be setting the DVR up to tape it. I thought I would have to beg him this year, but he actually has been the one turning on the repeats of last years shows on the Fox Reality Channel and he reminded me when the premiere was on.

It only took a few years to get him hooked! LOL

It is these repeats that bring me to the topic I am venting about. I realize that the Powers-That-Be have to come up with original, creative and engaging ideas when debuting new reality programs. I completely understand that the publics demand for more creates the need to push the envelope a bit. However, the commercial I viewed this evening has disturbed me.

The new show that they are promoting? "Who's Your Daddy?"

From the Fox Website:

FOX SPECIAL:“WHO’S YOUR DADDY?”
After a lifetime of separation, does the bond between parent and child remain? A reunion show like no other, WHO’S YOUR DADDY? provides a woman, who was given up for adoption as an infant, with an extraordinary opportunity to meet the birth father who also has been searching for her. But wait, there’s a twist. Before meeting her dad, the young woman will be presented with eight men, all claiming to be her father, and she must determine which one really is. And to keep her real dad from revealing himself from the start, there is $100,000 at stake for his daughter. She will have opportunities to interview and observe the men, narrowing the field. If she guesses right, the prize will be hers. If she guesses wrong, the imposter will win the money. Either way, daughter and father will be reunited on the dramatic and emotional special WHO’S YOUR DADDY?

Although I am glad that regardless of the outcome, the father and daughter are reunited, this disturbs me on so many levels. How difficult emotionally would it be to be presented with 8 men, all claiming to be your father and having to pick and choose between them to decide who fathered you? How would you feel, or how would the father feel if you chose wrong? You have never met this man. I think that any person, being reunited with their birth parent would have a huge amount of emotions to deal with, let alone turning that experience into a game for the world to see.

I know the participants sign up willingly. It just scares me that this is what Reality TV is coming to. Maybe I am just being too close-minded this evening.

No comments: