Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Specialist Appointment

I cannot stress this next fact enough. I LOVE this OBGYN!

He makes you feel like a person, not a number. He is funny, and never makes you feel stupid! He has great bedside manner and is so thorough in his work, which gives me so much confidence in his ability to take care of Bean and I.

My one complaint about today's appointment is the unexpected pelvic exam! I like to be 'prepared' for these, and they sprung this one on me. UGH! I actually said to the OBGYN when he came into the room, "Is it a requirement to see you that I have to be naked from the waist down?" He laughed.

He started off with some good thoughts. He isn't too terribly concerned at this point about Bean's slow growth. He/She is growing, and may just be a small baby. But, he did state he intended to follow this through (rather than just pushing it off to the side), to make sure all is well. We went over the ultrasounds that I have had so far, and then it was on to the exam.

My cervix is closed and is everything it is supposed to be at this time. (He spouted off some stuff about it being at the right angle or something - but I have preggo brain and I can't remember.)

My blood pressure was a bit higher than he liked, but between the stress of anticipating the apppointment, and the IDIOT who I nearly plowed into on the way to the appointment probably had something to do with that. (The idiot, for clarification, had a stop sign and just came out into my lane. He stopped his car in front of mine, as I had to slam on my brakes, and he just stared at me! IDIOT!)

The OBGYN had me do relaxation and imagery to see if we could bring down my blood pressure. I was amazed. Most doctors just accept the original reading and move on.

I get another ultrasound within 2 weeks to check on Bean's growth (I KNEW someone had some pull in this town - normally the wait list is 4 weeks - which is why I had to go to Quesnel.)

Another reason I love this man is that he gave me NO issue about my weight. I was waiting for the "lecture", since I have gained about 20-25 lbs so far. Because I was overweight to begin with - I should only be gaining 15-25 lbs throughout the entire pregnancy, and I still have 7 weeks to go! He agreed with my stance that my main priority is to eat a healthy diet, not count calories at this time. I figure, I only have one chance to get this pregnancy right, the rest of my life to lose weight.

He actually looked at my rash when he gave me the opportunity to complain about the pregnancy. He is sending me for some bloodwork to rule out a liver condition that can also cause a rash, but is sure it is PUPPPS. He also wrote me a prescription for a cream to help it. I LOVE HIM. My other Doctor just said I had to deal with it. I am hoping the cream helps and that I may finally have some relief from the itch!

I see him again on January 30th, and he is hoping to have the ultrasound results by that point. Incredible. I am waiting to see when my ultrasound is, but I am sure his office will call me tommorow to let me know.

The sheer amount of appointments is starting to overwhelm me. I saw my regular pregnancy doctor last week, OBGYN this week, regular doctor next week, and then back to the OBGYN the following week. Oh, and I will have an ultrasound in there somewhere! Crazy! But it makes me happy that I am getting pro-active care without having to scream to get it.

No comments: