Friday, January 06, 2006

Ultrasound Day!

Road Trip!

I was a bit concerned over my planned trip to Quesnel today. I love to drive, however, it's the middle of winter, and I am 7 & 1/2 months pregnant. On top of that, I had to chug 32 ounces of fluid and drive in a bumpy Jeep for 2 hours without peeing myself. That in itself is a challenge.

I picked my friend Poppy up at 9 am. Keith felt better about me taking the trip if I had someone with me, and Poppy volunteered to go. Two preggo ladies on a roadtrip. It was very Thelma and Louise minus the cop chase and cliff dives.

We stopped in Hixon to do to required pee break and fluid check. The roads were beautiful, clear and dry. My worry about freezing rain and bad conditions seemed to be abated for the time being.

We made it to Quesnel by 10:50 am. Perfect timing.

Weird thing. They made me get changed into a hospital gown. I was getting worried that they had me scheduled for something different than a simple ultrasound. At all my previous scans in Prince George, the tech simply lifts your shirt and lowers your pants. I looked quite cute in my pink hospital gown with my black socks and clunky shoes on. Oh, to have a digital camera at that point.

I got into the ultrasound, and the technician was so funny. Not so good when you have a very full bladder that he's about to poke with the ultrasound stick, but I managed not to pee all over the table. When he said I could go empty my bladder, I told him that I loved him. He responded with, "Oh sure, tell me that AFTER you get married!" He was hilarious!

I come back and he lets Poppy into the room to watch. He showed us the profile, spine, heart, bladder and stomach of Baby Bean. He also showed us a leg or two, but I couldn't really make it out. The heartrate was 140 BPM.

We again get no indication of sex. Bean is still breech and curled in a position that makes it impossible to tell. This baby is stubborn. I ate a Caramilk in the car on the way, in hopes it would make Bean do the "chocolate sugar dance" in my belly, but it was unsuccessful. This baby is making sure I get the surprise ending!

The GOOD news: Baby Bean has grown. He/She is still measuring behind where it should be, however, it has grown considerably since my last ultrasound. That is a HUGE relief to me. I am 30 weeks and 5 days at the moment, and Bean is measuring 28 weeks 4 days. I can deal with a small baby, was just so frightened that Bean wasn't growing at all!

So, it seems good, but I will find out more info from my Doctor next week at my next prenatal appointment.

The ride home from Quesnel was interesting to say the least. It must have started to snow in Prince George and surrounding areas slightly after we left. On the way back, roads that were dry and clear on 3 hours earlier, were covered in snow. I couldn't see the lines on the road over half the way home. Add in heavy snow, slushy sections, and semi-trucks passing me which sprayed slush all over my windshield, and it made for a cranky me. We must have seen 5 plows going the opposite direction, yet NONE going our way. They must have been behind us.

But we made it safe and sound, with the exception to my poor windshield that now has some rock chips in it.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

So glad to hear that baby bean is growing! And hey, a small baby will be much easier to push out;) Sorry that he/she was not cooperative however...I was so disappointed when they couldn't tell at my anatomical ultrasound, thank goodness they have been able to at the last two :)

Glad you made it home safely on the bad winter roads!