Monday, January 02, 2006

State of Our Medical System?

Apparantly, the medical system in British Columbia is still in need of serious help!

No, really! I'm not making this up!

Here I am complaining that I have to drive 2 hours this coming Friday to have a simple ultrasound done (and I am going to a smaller community to have it done), and someone ended up giving birth in a car in Penticton.

Did they go to the hospital too late? Was it an extremely quick delivery?

Nope. They went to their local hospital (Princeton Hospital) and they were told to drive to the larger hospital about 100 km's away. The woman was in labor and 4 centimetres dialated. Her water had broken, and the hospital was apparantly able to handle the birth. Why were they sent away? If the Father of the child could handle the delivery in the back of their SUV, then why couldn't the hospital?

Makes me shake my head. Thankfully, the Mom, Dad and baby are doing fine.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

That is insane! Unfortunately, I am not sure it is that rare..I was living in BC about 5 years ago and heard a few similar stories. Myself, I couldn't find a general practitioner anywhere in my suburb or the surrounding ones that was accepting new patients...it was insane.

Jann said...

Yes, the lack of GP's that are accepting new patients is terrible!
I know when I moved back up North from Vancouver, I lost my old GP and had to beg to get into my friends Doctor.

In Prince George, we are getting slowly better, but its still a long ways from perfect. We have the Northern Medical Program at UNBC now, whose intent is, "Doctor's that train in the North, will stay in the North."

The thing that gets me about their story is the fact that a hospital turned them away. It's a hospital for crying out loud! The story doesn't mention whether they were overbooked, or possible under-staffed, but to send a laboring woman and her husband 100 km's away should never be allowed.

What if something had happened to them? Would the hospital take responsibility? I doubt it. I don't know about how the Dad did driving, but I know Keith would be seriously stressed trying to drive mountain roads with a laboring woman in the back seat! (Which is why we live 10 minutes from the hospital! LOL)