Sunday, December 04, 2005

18 Weeks - The New Doctor & Birth Plan

18 Weeks, 22 to go!

Well, the new Doctor is nice. He speaks low and with an English accent so he's a bit hard to understand, but he seems knowledgeable.

We went over my history, family history, and any problems I have had. It was a comprehensive appointment.

He asked about my birth plan. I have read about birth plans, and the importance of writing down your wishes, but I am not fussy. I have never done this before, so I have NO idea what to expect. If I was having another child, I would consider this my "practise" run, and would have more knowledge of what I wanted for next time. But as I will be having a hysterectomy 6 months post-partum, that will not be the case.

So basically, my birth plan is this. I go into labor. I go to the hospital. They give me a bed. They give me drugs if I need them, and not give me grief about it (I do want to try for a natural birth, but if I can't take the pain, I EXPECT DRUGS). Baby Bean is monitored and if things don't progress, then cut me open. I have no problems with having a C-section. I won't consider it a failure. Sure, it would be nice to have a nice natural birth, with no tearing or cutting involved, but I am quite open to the fact that I may not have that. As long as Baby Bean comes out healthy, that is my ONLY concern.

So, I tell my new Doctor that I don't have any specific birth plans. I might later on after my prenatal classes, but for now, I just want to go to the hospital and deliver. He gives me a strange look and we move on. I think he's not sharing something.

I got to hear Bean's heartbeat again and actually was able to ask what the heartrate was (152 BPM). Woohoooo, go little bean! It still shocks me how fast their heartrates are compared to ours.

No comments: