Sunday, December 04, 2005

19 Weeks - Houston, We Have A Problem.

19 weeks, 21 weeks to go!

I woke up the Sunday morning that I was 19 weeks pregnant feeling fine. Keith and I had some running around to do that day, including picking up some baby stuff from a friend, and hitting Staples for some ink for the printer.

Around 11 am, I began having some cramps. I had been peeing like a mad-woman all morning, and hadn't noticed anything different, but the cramping was new. I went to the washroom thinking that I had to do #2 (sorry, TMI). Once there, I tried to go, and nothing. So I went pee, wiped, and on the toilet paper was blood. There was more when I wiped again.

I hadn't had any bleeding since my first trimester, so this freaked me out. I was instantly in tears. I yelled downstairs that we had to go to the ER because I was bleeding. Keith came running upstairs, and says "Where are you bleeding?" thinking I had cut myself or something. When he saw that I was crying, he just helped me get dressed and we left for the ER.

The whole trip to the ER, I was bawling (it's only a 10 minute drive). I kept thinking the worst. If baby bean was born now, it wouldn't survive. My cramping was bad, and I just thought this was it. The cruel joke that I could actually have a baby has come to the punchline. Keith kept trying to make me laugh in the car, but I just cried harder.

When we got to the ER, I had calmed down a bit. The nurses asked several times if I was sure that I was 19 weeks pregnant. If you are 20 weeks, you get sent up to Labor and Delivery, anything before that and they see you in the ER. I was as sure as my Doctors were, and that's what I told them.

They got me a room, which was the same room I had been in before on my last ER trip. We waited for about an hour before a nurse came to make me pee in a cup, and to hook up an IV. Keith surprised me. He can't STAND hospitals, he doesn't like needles, but he stayed in the room, reading this magazine about Diabetes over and over.

The Doctor came in an hour later and we went over everything that had happened. He said he would be back with a portable ultrasound, and that he was going to get the nurse to draw blood. Another nurse came in with a Doppler and we were able to hear the heartbeat, and the heartrate was 144 BPM. Good sign. That relieved me.

They took blood, and we waited. We started using the flow meter on the IV as a clock to gauge how long we had been there. We started making bets as to what level it would be before someone else came in. I won.

The Doctor came back in with the ultrasound. He did a pelvic exam (which Keith stuck around for) and told me that my cervix was closed. GREAT RELIEF. He brought over the ultrasound, and both Keith and I saw baby bean huddled in my belly. It was moving its arm around, and I asked the Doctor if there were two arms, because I could only make out one (The screen is so tiny). He laughed and said yes there were two.

He told me my bleeding was probably cervical, but treated me very well. He booked me for a real ultrasound and said that if the bleeding got worse, to come back. He assured me that baby and me had passed the three tests they do. Heartrate, closed cervix and movement on ultrasound.

6 hours in the ER was worth that piece of mind.

No comments: