Sunday, December 18, 2005

Real TV...

I am not actually referring to "reality TV shows", like Survivor, or Amazing Race or even my addictive American Idol.

I am talking about TLC. The Learning Channel.

It is usually one of my favorites, as it carries "A Baby Story". Gee, wonder why I like it so much? Because I am pregnancy-obsessed to the point that I cannot carry on a conversation without mentioning what is happening in my belly? It's a possibility.

A funny thing happened a few months ago. Keith and I were talking about baby-to-be, and he said (and I cannot even begin to make this shit up), "Wouldn't it be cool if our kid was born with two heads or something? Then it would be famous!" We laughed, since that's just Keith's sense of humor. He doesn't actually want a child with two heads. At least I hope he doesn't. This is the man that will help mold our future child.

A few months later, and we are watching TLC. I can't remember what program was on, because what happened next is what sticks in my memory. As the show goes to commercial, a promo for the next program comes on. What is it, you ask? "Next on TLC...Born With Two Heads."

I look at Keith and said, "You paid them to put that promo on, right?"
Keith replied, "No, but now our baby has to have three heads to compete."

So, we watched the program on the poor little baby born with two heads. One real head and another alien head that was attached to the top of her skull. Just a head and a little bit of the torso. The Mom had ultrasounds throughout her pregnancy, and they never noticed that this extra head was there? Granted, she already had twins in there, not counting the alien head (would that make it triplets technically? It did have it's own brain) so maybe it was just hidden by the other twin. I don't know. All I know is that it gave me nightmares that night on what was growing in my own belly.

Don't get me wrong, I love these shows if solely for the educational aspect of them. I learn about all sorts of new things that can go wrong with a person. Somtimes, its just a bit disturbing. But it sure puts my daily aches and pains into perspective!

For example, some of the other shows I have seen:

The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off

Born Without a Face

The 750 pound Man

Or the most recent one, that I was watching when Keith came home from work one night...

Archie, The 84 Pound Baby

(Since I had missed the beginning of the program, I had dreams that night of having an 84 lb baby at birth. Physically impossible, but in dreams, anything is possible! LOL)

Crazy stuff, I tell you. I think I should stick to Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy until after the birth! LOL

No comments: